|Our Servant Leaders - Past and Present
…Who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today
and forever. Hebrews 13: 7-8
December 5, 2009-November 27, 2013
The Reverend Doctor Ernest E. Graves is the sixth pastor. Dr. Graves is a lifetime member of Tabernacle Baptist Church; he was baptized at the age
of seven by the late Rev. Broaddus. Dr. Graves has served since 1995 as the assistant to the late pastor, Rev. Dr. Donald W. Thompson. He also
served for five years as Pastor of Harvest Grove Baptist Church; three years as Chaplain at Lebanon Correctional Institution and for the past twenty-two
years as Chaplain at the Dayton Correctional Institution. Dr. Graves is married to Debra and father of two daughters, two son-in-laws and three
September 10, 1978-September 27, 2009
The Reverend Doctor Donald W. Thompson a native of Columbus, Ohio, was the fifth pastor of Tabernacle. After faithfully serving Tabernacle as
Assistant to the late Reverend J. Welby Broaddus from 1970 to 1978, he was installed as the pastor of Tabernacle on September 10th, 1978. Under
the leadership of Dr. Thompson, the church continued to grow in the Lord, membership, and acquisition of new properties for future growth and
expansion. Dr. Thompson had a strong commitment to the Christian Education Program which embraced both youth and adults and to the
Scholarship Fund. In addition to the many classes offered, Dr. Thompson instituted a men’s Bible study called “Men Standing for Christ.” Bible study
was very dear to his heart and he was known as a ‘praying man.’ A prolonged illness caused Dr. Thompson to submit his Letter of Retirement
effective September 27, 2009. Dr. Thompson’s death on August 28, 2009 preceded his retirement.
July 1938 – March 16, 1978
The Reverend J. Welby Broaddus was the fourth pastor. He was a native of Richmond, Kentucky and came to Tabernacle Baptist Church from
Frankfort, Kentucky. He was a pastor, leader and a builder. In December 1959, the church voted to build a new edifice that adjoined the old building.
April 1960, ground breaking and construction began. On June 30, 1961, ribbon cutting and opening of the Fellowship Hall took place. On April 15,
1962, the new sanctuary was dedicated. On August 12, 1973, thirteen (13) years later, the mortgage of the new sanctuary was burned. As Rev.
Broaddus’ health began to fail, Rev. Donald W. Thompson, Assistant Pastor, carried the responsibility of the pastorate for the last eight years (1970-
1978) of Rev. Broaddus’ service.
January 1938-April 1938
The Reverend Strobridge E. Hoard of Bowling Green, Kentucky, was the third pastor. He was a most eloquent orator and preacher. His pastorate
was terminated by his death after only a few months.
July 1931-December 1937
The Reverend Ernest C. Estell of Drakesboro, Kentucky, was the second pastor. He was a dynamic preacher and organizer of many church clubs and
training classes. A youth conference featured inspirational speakers from St. John Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas. Under the leadership of Rev.
Estell, the church began to be involved in local, state and national denominational work. He resigned the pastorate at Tabernacle to accept a call to
the St. John Baptist Church in Dallas, Texas.
February 1929-November 1930
The Reverend Ed D. Maples served as the first pastor. Tabernacle Baptist Church was organized in the St. Paul AME Zion Church building on Home
Avenue with a congregation of 157 members. The name Tabernacle Baptist Church was adopted. The small congregation purchased the edifice
located on the corner of South Broadway and Home Avenue.